Unlocking the Code is the Key to Reading Success
The key to unlock the puzzle of the English Alphabet Code empowers teachers to teach and children & learners of any age to reach their true reading potential
What does the Sound Reading System do?
The SRS has been developed to stand simply as a means to an end. The basic building blocks of reading are the ability to decode. Reading is a vastly wider subject that involves the reader at different levels. These are ‘higher order reading skills’ which, it may be suggested, continue over a life time. If a child–or an adult–cannot read at the simplest level he/she is excluded from the entire world of reading.
- SRS is a high quality systematic phonic programme and teaches the entire alphabet code in logical, incremental steps;
- Absolutely fits the evidence-based principles for a synthetic phonics programme and never mixes methods;
- Designed for the teaching of discrete, daily sessions, progressing from simple to more complex phonic knowledge;
- Inexpensive training and materials;
- Suitable for all age groups;
- Designed to be completely multi-sensory and ‘brain-friendly’ (it works with the memory);
- Enables children to learn using simultaneous visual, auditory and kinaesthetic activities;
- Evolves into a clear and efficient spelling programme and enables learners progress to be assessed;
- It is unique for the way it organises the alphabet code and teaches variant spellings of a single sound simultaneously;
- Fully scripted, so straying from the methodology shouldn’t occur;
- Contains no ineffective and time wasting practices or procedures;
- Works fast because it is simple and the learner understands;
- Can be used by any fully literate person who has received training;
- Tried, tested and proven effective in all situations; 1-1, classroom, FE colleges, Academies, YOIs;
- Suitable even for those with severe literacy challenges, e.g ‘dyslexia’.
It is simple to teach and simple to learn so it works very fast: catch-up learners often make significant progress in a few hours of tuition (12-18 hours for some, but for many young adults who get the ‘hang of it’, 10 hours of teaching may move their Reading Age 2-3 years). All learners gain significantly in confidence. It can be adapted to teach beginner readers or ‘catch up’ learners of all ages. In multi-cultural Britain a straightforward phonic approach works well with ESL children.